.11 Renewal of Certificates.
(1) An applicant who receives a certificate is responsible for initiating the renewal of the certificate.
(2) Renewal requirements shall be received at the Department within 90 days of the expiration date listed under "Period of Validity" on the certification in order for the certificate to be considered continuous.
(3) Failure to Meet Requirements. Failure to meet the requirements of this section results in loss of the professional certificate. The local school system may request a conditional certificate pursuant to Regulation .08 of this chapter for an employee who fails to meet the renewal requirements of the professional certificate.
(4) Fee. The fee for the renewal of a certificate is provided in Education Article, §6-704(b), Annotated Code of Maryland, and shall be made payable to the Maryland State Department of Education by money order, certified check, cashier's check, or electronic payment.
(5) If a teacher has not submitted the required semester hours in reading course work, the acceptable credit needed shall include:
(a) 12 semester hours in reading theory and methodology for early childhood, elementary, or special education at that level taken at an IHE or through CPDs, which shall include:
(i) Processes and acquisition of reading skills;
(ii) Best practices in reading instruction that include the cuing systems of graphophonics, semantics, and syntactics;
(iii) Use of reading assessment data to improve instruction; and
(iv) Materials for teaching reading in order to gain literary experience, perform a task, and read for information;
(b) 6 semester hours in reading methods for secondary education or special education at that level, taken at an IHE or through CPDs which shall include:
(i) Types of reading;
(ii) Use of reading assessment data to improve instruction;
(iii) Skills in reading including cognitive strategies in reading;
(iv) Reading instruction including reading aloud strategies and methods for diagnosing reading difficulties and making instructional modifications and accommodations for the student;
(v) Strategies for intrinsic and extrinsic motivation for reading;
(vi) Teaching students to learn from text by applying theories, strategies, and practices in daily classroom use including additional content in types of reading using authentic texts;
(vii) Skills in reading including processing of multimedia information and strategies to connect reading with study skills; and
(viii) Reading instruction that integrates content area goals with reading goals including strategies for students to communicate effectively orally and in writing about what they have read in content area texts; or
(c) 6 semester hours as provided in §A(5)(b) of this regulation for certification at the PreK—12 level.
(6) To maintain the specific certification areas of the certificate, at least 6 semester hours are required in each renewal period until the required semester hours under §A(5) of this regulation are completed.
(7) A teacher is exempt from submitting the required semester hours in reading course work required under §A(5) of this regulation if the teacher presents evidence of a qualifying score as established by the State Superintendent of Schools on the test approved by the State Board of Education.
B. Professional Certificates.
(1) The Professional Eligibility Certificate shall be renewed for 5 years by an applicant not currently employed as a professional in a Maryland local school system, by presenting 6 semester hours of acceptable credit as set forth in Regulation .05C of this chapter and §A(5) of this regulation.
(2) The Standard Professional I Certificate shall be renewed only once upon the request of the local superintendent of schools for an applicant whose service was interrupted during the validity period of the Standard Professional I Certificate, preventing the applicant from meeting the experience requirement under Regulation .06C(1)(b) of this chapter, if the applicant presents 6 semester hours of acceptable credit as set forth in Regulation .05C of this chapter and §A(5) of this regulation.
(3) The Standard Professional II Certificate may not be renewed.
(4) The Extended Standard Professional II Certificate may not be renewed.
(5) The Advanced Professional Certificate shall be renewed for 5 years if an applicant is:
(a) Continuously employed as a professional in a Maryland school during the validity period of the certificate upon the request of the local superintendent of schools and upon presenting all of the following:
(i) A professional development plan for the subsequent Advanced Professional Certificate designed by the employee and reviewed by the local superintendent of schools that includes at least 6 semester hours of acceptable credit under Regulation .05C of this chapter and §A(5) of this regulation, or the equivalent once the required semester hours of reading course work are completed;
(ii) 6 semester hours of acceptable credit under Regulation .05C of this chapter and §A(5) of this regulation, or verification by the local superintendent of schools that the employee has earned the equivalent of 6 semester hours of credit in professional growth activities during the validity period of the current certificate once the required semester hours of reading course work are completed; and
(iii) Verification of 3 years of satisfactory school-related experience completed within the 5 years immediately preceding the issuance of the renewed Advanced Professional Certificate; or
(b) Not continuously employed as a professional in a Maryland school during the validity period of the certificate, upon the request of the applicant and upon the applicant presenting 6 semester hours of acceptable credit under Regulation .05C of this chapter and §A(5) of this regulation.
C. Conditional Teacher Certificate.
(1) An applicant may hold only one Conditional Teacher Certificate which may be renewed in accordance with this regulation.
(2) A Conditional Teacher Certificate may be renewed for 2 years, only one time, upon the recommendation of the local superintendent of schools, if the applicant has:
(a) Completed a minimum of 12 semester hours of course work toward the professional certificate during the 2-year period; and
(b) Achieved a qualifying score on the basic skills teacher certification test if required under Regulation .05A(3) of this chapter.
D. Resident Teacher Certificate. A Resident Teacher Certificate may not be renewed.