EXECUTIVE ORDER 01.01.1987.08
Maryland State Planning Council on Developmental Disabilities
[Amended COMAR 01.01.1973.08]
A. There is a Maryland State Planning Council on Developmental Disabilities within the Office for Handicapped Individuals in the Executive Branch of the Government
B. Staff support for the Maryland State Planning Council on Developmental Disabilities shall be provided by the Office for Handicapped Individuals. Supervision of staff will be provided by the Council.
C. Membership of the Council shall comply with federal mandates as follows:
(1) At least one-half of the Council membership shall consist of persons with developmental disabilities or their parents or guardians.
(2) At least one-third of this membership must consist of persons with developmental disabilities, or "primary consumers" and another one-third the immediate relatives or guardians of persons with mentally impairing developmental disabilities, or "secondary consumer. " At least one such individual must be the immediate relative or guardian of a developmentally disabled resident of an institution.
(3) The Director of the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation or his designee.
(4) The State Superintendent of Schools or his designee.
(5) The Secretary of the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene or his designee.
(6) The Secretary of the Department of Human Resources or his designee.
(7) A representative from the John F. Kennedy Institute for Handicapped Children, a university affiliated facility.
(8) A representative from the Maryland Disability Law Center, the protection and advocacy system.
(9) Remaining members should represent higher education training facilities, local agencies and nongovernmental agencies concerned with the provision of services to this population.
(10) The Director of the Office for Handicapped Individuals.
D. The Maryland State Planning Council on Developmental Disabilities shall:
(1) Develop jointly with the Developmental Disabilities Administration of the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene the State plan required by the Federal Developmental Disabilities Act:
(2) Monitor, review and evaluate not less often than annually the implementation of such State plan:
(3) To the maximum extent feasible, review and comment on all State plans in the State which relate to programs affecting persons with developmental disabilities: and
(4) Submit to the Secretary of the Federal Department of Health and Human Services, through the Governor, such periodic reports on its activities as the Secretary may reasonably request, and keep such records and afford such access thereto as the Secretary finds necessary to verify such reports.
(5) Advocate, on behalf of developmentally disabled citizens within State Government.
E. The Council shall promulgate and adopt a set of by-laws and operating procedures that are consistent with the intent of this Executive Order and these by-laws shall be on file in the Governor's appointment office.
F. This Executive Order is effective immediately.
Effective date: July 25, 1973
Amended effective March 11, 1987 (14:8 Md. R. 919)