EXECUTIVE ORDER 01.01.1998.06
The Governor's Committee on Employment of People With Disabilities
[Amended COMAR 01.01.1996.15]
A. There is a Governor's Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities within the Office for Individuals with Disabilities in the Executive Branch of the government.
B. The Governor's Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities is affiliated with the President's Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities located in Washington, D.C.
C. Staff support for the Governor's Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities shall be provided by the Office for Individuals with Disabilities.
D. The membership of the Committee shall consist of a total of 36 members including:
(1) One representative of the Department of Human Resources;
(2) Two representatives of the Department of Budget and Management, including an expert in State personnel issues;
(3) Two representatives of the Maryland State Department of Education, including a representative of the Division of Rehabilitation Services;
(4) One representative of the Executive Department Office for Individuals with Disabilities;
(5) One representative of the Senate of Maryland;
(6) One representative of the Maryland House of Delegates;
(7) One representative of the Maryland Department of Transportation;
(8) One representative of the Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation;
(9) One representative of the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene;
(10) One representative of the Department of Housing and Community Development;
(11) One representative of the Maryland Human Relations Commission;
(12) One representative of the Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development;
(13) Members appointed by the Governor to represent business and industry, labor, consumers, consumer advocacy groups, private agencies with disabled client populations, the news media, fraternal and religious groups, the medical community and others within the community interested in the goals and objectives of the Committee; and
(14) At least 14 members of the Committee must be individuals with disabilities.
E. Members appointed by the Governor shall serve 3-year staggered terms. A member may not serve consecutively more than 2 three-year terms. All other members shall serve so long as they continue to hold agency representation as provided under §D(1) through (12) of this Executive Order.
F. The Governor shall designate a Chairperson who shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor.
G. The Chairpersons of the County Committees on Employment of People with Disabilities shall be entitled to ex-officio membership on the Committee.
H. All members are subject to Article 41, §1-203 of the Maryland Annotated Code which contains provisions governing attendance at meetings.
I. The purpose and objectives of this Committee shall be:
(1) To promote meaningful employment opportunities for qualified individuals with mental, physical, and emotional disabilities as defined by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended;
(2) To promote a climate of public awareness and understanding of both the barriers to employment faced by people with disabilities and the laws ensuring equal opportunity to this employment; and
(3) To promote a better understanding among people with disabilities of opportunities available for habilitation and rehabilitation in order that more and more will have marketable job skills.
J. The functions of the Committee shall be to:
(1) Plan and carry out year-round education programs designed to promote a climate of public awareness and understanding of the attitudinal, architectural, educational, housing, transportation, and other barriers to employment and life quality faced by people with disabilities;
(2) Stimulate state and local community interest by securing the active cooperation and participation of such "public" entities as business and industry, labor, government, educators, public and private agencies serving people with disabilities, consumers, consumer advocates and civic organizations;
(3) Plan and carry out/or participate in special events and programs designed to highlight abilities of qualified people with disabilities and programs to facilitate employment of such persons;
(4) Encourage and facilitate the development and functioning of local committees on employment of people with disabilities;
(5) Coordinate with and participate in activities of other public and private agencies; and
(6) Cooperate with the President's Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities in programs and activities initiated at the national level.
K. The Governor's Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities shall promulgate and adopt a set of By-Laws and operating procedures that are consistent with the intent of this Executive Order and these By-Laws shall be on file in the Governor's Appointment Office.
Effective date: November 20, 1979 (6:25 Md. R. 1967)
Amended effective July 31, 1980 (7:17 Md. R. 1659); December 26, 1983 (11:2 Md.R . 104); October 20, 1989 (13:23 Md.R . 2468); March 11, 1987 (14:8 Md. R. 920); August 9, 1989 (16:18 Md. R. 1990); June 28, 1996 (23:15 Md. R. 1073); February 10, 1998 (25:6 Md. R. 390)