A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "ACH credit" means a transaction in which a taxpayer, through the taxpayer's bank and an automated clearing house, originates an entry crediting the State of Maryland's bank account and debiting the taxpayer's bank account for the amount of the payment due.
(2) "ACH debit" means a transaction in which the Treasurer, through a designated depository bank and an automated clearing house, originates an entry debiting the taxpayer's bank account and crediting Maryland's bank account for the amount of the payment due.
(3) "Automated clearing house (ACH)" means a central clearing facility operated by:
(a) A federal reserve bank; or
(b) An organization established by agreement with the National Automated Clearing House Association (NACHA) which:
(i) Operates as a clearing house for transmitting or receiving entries between banks and bank accounts, and
(ii) Authorizes an electronic transfer of funds between banks or bank accounts.
(4) "Business day" means the hours between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. prevailing Eastern time, on a day other than a Saturday, Sunday, or any holiday as defined in Tax-General Article, §1-201(a), Annotated Code of Maryland.
(5) "Comptroller" means the Comptroller of Maryland or the Comptroller's designee.
(6) "Direct debit" means an electronic transfer of an authorized payment from a taxpayer's checking or savings account into the State's bank account.
(7) "Immediately available funds" means an ACH credit, an ACH debit, direct debit, or wire transfer.
(8) "Person" means an individual, receiver, trustee, guardian, personal representative, fiduciary, or representative of any kind, including an agent of a taxpayer, and any partnership, firm, association, corporation, or other entity.
(9) "Tax" means tax, interest, penalty, and fees.
(10) "Taxpayer" means any person required to pay a tax or file a return or a report.
(11) "TXP" means the tax payment addendum convention for use with the National Automated Clearing House Association's CCD+ application.
(12) "Wire transfer" means a transaction in which a taxpayer, through the taxpayer's bank, originates an entry crediting the State of Maryland's bank account and debiting the taxpayer's bank account on the same day the transaction is initiated.