A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) “Asynchronous” means not occurring in real time.
(2) “Board” means the Maryland Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists.
(3) “Client” means the individual, couple, family, group, business, agency, school, organization, or association that the counselor or therapist provides, or has provided, with professional services.
(4) “Counselor or therapist” means an individual who is licensed or certified by the Board to practice:
(a) Certified associate alcohol and drug counseling;
(b) Certified professional counseling;
(c) Certified professional alcohol and drug counseling;
(d) Certified professional marriage and family therapy;
(e) Certified supervised alcohol and drug counseling;
(f) Clinical marriage and family therapy;
(g) Clinical professional alcohol and drug counseling;
(h) Clinical professional art therapy;
(i) Clinical professional counseling;
(j) Graduate alcohol and drug counseling;
(k) Graduate marriage and family therapy;
(l) Graduate professional art therapy; or
(m) Graduate professional counseling.
(6) “Synchronous” means occurring in real time.
(7) “Teletherapy” means telehealth as defined in Health Occupations Article, §1-901, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(8) “Teletherapy practitioner” means:
(a) A Maryland licensed individual authorized to provide counseling and therapy services pursuant to Health Occupations Article, Title 17, Annotated Code of Maryland, who performs teletherapy services within their respective scope of practice; or
(b) A professional counselor with a compact privilege in Maryland who performs telehealth services within their respective scope of practice.