A. As used in this chapter, the following terms have the meaning indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) “Academic year” means the fall, spring, and summer semesters and any semester shorter in length than the term of a regular semester.
(2) “Commission” means the Maryland Higher Education Commission.
(3) “Educational Assistance Grant” or “EA Grant” means the Delegate Howard P. Rawlings Educational Assistance Grant.
(4) “Educational Excellence Award” or “EEA” means the Delegate Howard P. Rawlings Program of Educational Excellence Awards, which consists of Delegate Howard P. Rawlings Guaranteed Access Grants and Delegate Howard P. Rawlings Educational Assistance Grants.
(5) “Eligible for in-State tuition” means an individual:
(a) Determined by a public institution of higher education to qualify for in-State tuition under the institution’s policies and Education Article, Title 15, Annotated Code of Maryland; or
(b) Determined by a nonpublic institution of higher education within the State to meet the criteria for in-State tuition under Education Article, Title 15, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(6) “Eligible institution” means an institution of higher education within the State.
(7) “FAFSA” means the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
(8) Full-Time Student.
(a) “Full-time student” means a student enrolled in at least 12 credit hours, or the equivalent of 12 credit hours, as determined by OSFA:
(i) In a regular undergraduate program leading to a degree or diploma from an eligible institution; or
(ii) In a 2-year associate degree program in which the course work is acceptable for transfer credit to an accredited baccalaureate program at an eligible institution.
(b) A semester hour or equivalent that does not lead towards a degree or diploma in a student’s educational program shall not be counted for purposes of determining whether the student is full-time.
(9) “GED” means a high school diploma by examination under Labor and Employment Article, §11-808 Annotated Code of Maryland.
(10) “Guaranteed Access Grant” or “GA Grant” means the Delegate Howard P. Rawlings Guaranteed Access Grant.
(11) “Maryland State Financial Aid Application (MSFAA)” means the financial aid application form prescribed by the Office for individuals who are eligible for in-State tuition and ineligible to complete the FAFSA.
(12) “OSFA” or “Office” means the Office of Student Financial Assistance within the Commission.
(13) “Secretary” means the Secretary of Higher Education for the State.
(14) Successfully Completed Course.
(a) “Successfully completed course” means a course in which a student received any grade higher than an “F” regardless of any school or program policy.
(b) “Successfully completed course” does not include a course that is retaken by a student more than once.
(15) “Title IV” means Title IV of the federal Higher Education Act of 1965.